Mark 2:1 “A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home.” I was stopped in my tracks as I read this verse today. The Savior of the world had come home. I know theologically that Jesus led a life just like ours and that he lived to give us an example of how men who truly know God live. Seeing it lived out in such an ordinary way, however, was stunning to me.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â â€“Â Oswald ChambersÂ
This quote reverberated in my soul as I read it as a young leader when I penned my book Woman of Influence. Our integrity matters. I always taught my children, â€œIntegrity is who you are when on one but God is watching.â€ And today I add, â€œand integrity is who you are when the entire world is watchingâ€”like on Facebook!â€Â Helping women hold on to their integrity is one of my lifeâ€™s goals because so many women, so many leaders, have unraveled their own lives by choices made. Having an unguarded heart is dangerous. ProverbsÂ 4:23 is clear, â€œAbove all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.â€ (NIV)Â
Â In Woman of Influence a few of the chapters really help with integrity issues, including the one on intimacy with God where I list of â€œ31 Ways to Wake Up Your Quiet Timeâ€. Here is a link to a mini article on Ways to Wake Up Your Quiet Time.
On my desk are a few items to help remind me of my need to hold on to integrity:
- My Bible- with pens and study aids to dig in for that daily wisdom I need.
- My Laptop- so I have quick access to research on Bible questions so I can apply knowledge so it hopefully turns into wisdom that will protect my life, my family, my ministry and Godâ€™s reputation.
- A compass given to me by a mentor to remind me to let God lead my path. I want Godâ€™s voice to be the loudest in my life so I always know true north and let Him give direction.
- Photos of my husband, family, my staff, mentees, and mentors – so I can see the faces I would crush and disappoint if I had a moral failure. All my choices impact someone else.
- A frame with verses of integrity facing me (but underneath are articles and names of fallen Christian leaders ) to remind me I want to be like the verses can see and be under Godâ€™s umbrella of blessing, not one of the names who chose to walk away from Godâ€™s plan and path. In my book Woman of Confidence, I offer scriptures strung together like this by topic, (including integrity) which can be helpful to use to pray over your life.Â Â
- A turtle- Why a turtle? If you were to walk along and see a turtle sitting on a fence post, what should you ask? How did it get there? Turtles canâ€™t climb. Someone had to put it up on that post. In the same way, every leader has a platform and God put you there, and He can just as easily take you downâ€”just look at King Saul as one vivid example.Â The turtle reminds me to â€œHumble myself under the mighty hand of God and he will exalt me at the proper time.â€Â When I train a woman to be a leader, author, speakerâ€”I have a long list of rigorous training and equipping she must complete, but upon graduation from Circle of Influence, I give her a turtle for her desk too.Â
Whatâ€™s on your desk?