A: Each January, the President of the United States gives a state of the Union address pointing out things that are going well and some suggested areas of improvement—then the debate, discussion and dialogue begins. In similar manner, Bill and I meet each January to review the state of our union.
In our book, Red Hot Monogamy, we walk a couple through 8 vital areas of life that create marital intimacy, harmony and unity. Set a date this week and rate yourself 1 to 10 how you are doing in each area: (Download State of the Union: Red Hot Relationship Date Night worksheet)
- Social – Are you enjoying friendship with each other and those in your life?
- Financial – Are you stable now and do you have a plan you are working for your future?
- Recreational– Do you have a plan you both are working to stay healthy and happy?
- Vocational– Do you have a plan in place to help both of you grow and move forward in your career (education; volunteer work)?
- Parental– Are you on the same page as parents; do you have a plan to help you children reach their God- given potential?
- Emotional– Are you both calm, peaceful, stable, and enjoying strong mental health?
- Spiritual– Are you both growing in your walk with God?
- Sexual– Do you enjoy regular intimacy, closeness and sexual expression?
Together set a goal in each area and move your life and love forward. (Download State of Union worksheet)
Setting goals is Biblical:
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? . . . Luke 14:28-33 ESV
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Download Your Best Year Yet Goal Worksheets for Couples. (This will help you each set goals (a sheet for a husband and a wife), and it will help you talk through your life from a broad, global perspective. Change is possible! If you set one goal a month, in a year you will have moved your love and life forward! Or choose one area to focus on in the following year to laser movement in a problem area.
Buy Red Hot Monogamy and set aside 8 weeks to move your life and love forward in all 8 areas of intimacy—and this book has 200 red hot ideas to fan the flame on your intimate life, so there can be great rewards for all your hard work you are doing as a couple! It is a built in red hot love incentive plan! (Even God gives incentives for wise choices, “Great is your reward!” (Matt 5:12) In this case, a red hot love is its own reward!